Saturday, August 18, 2007

Thing 20: Discover YouTube, etc

Thing 20: Discover YouTube and a few sites that allow users to upload and share videos



This is my niece, Rhea, when she was about 9 months or so old. Obviously, I chose this video because she's "our" kid. This baby has relatives on 3 continents: North America, Europe, and Asia. Kodak Gallery has been our best friend, because I can post the pictures, and just send an email to her grandparents and aunts. I have actually decided to use Flickr since I started Library 2.0, because it's quicker, and non-commercial. YouTube works in the same way - I can upload films taken with a simple digital camera, and voila! Rhea's relatives get to see her in action. How cool is that?

The video was taken by her mom, Risa (pronounced Reesa), and uploaded by me. Uploading to YouTube was foolproof. One thing you must note, though. There is a time delay, which seems to be varied for some reason. One video showed up right away (it was 3 seconds long). This one took about half an hour. I have no idea why. Anyway, it was very easy. If you feel a little uncomfortable about strangers viewing your personal videos, you can easily make them private such that only people you invite may see them.

akg

No comments: